Welcome to my mid-year book tag!
Half year reviews are quite popular on booktube (They are called Mid-year Book Freak Out Tag by booktubers) and I love the concept so I have decided to join the bandwagon. It is basically a recap of books that you have read in the first half of the year and you do this by answering 13 questions. I have already listed my top ten half-year reads here – Top Ten Tuesday: My Half-Year Best Reads so you can check it out.
- Best Book I read this half year: I have read a number of really good books this half year but the book that really stood out for me was ”A Broken People’s Playlist’ by Chimeka Garricks. So far I have read it twice already. Yes, it is that good. You can read my review here – Book Review: A Broken People’s Playlist by Chimeka Garricks I love, love, love.
2. Best Series I have read this year: I started this year by reading at least five book series. Some where really good while some where just ok. However, my best would be ‘The Poor Relation Series’ by M. C. Beaton. I enjoyed all the books in this series. They had a bit of everything I like in my books. Historical setting, romance, some mystery, suspense and of course very witty. Check out my reviews here – Book Review: Lady Fortescue Steps Out (The Poor Relation #1) by M. C. Beaton Book Review: Miss Tonks Turns To Crime (The Poor Relation #2) by M. C. Beaton Book Review: Mrs. Budley Falls From Grace (The Poor relation #3) by M. C. Beaton Book Review: Sir Philip’s Folly (The Poor Relation #4) By M. C. Beaton Book Review: Colonel Sandhurst To The Rescue (The Poor Relation #5) By M. C. Beaton Book Review: Back In Society (The Poor Relation #6) By M. C. Beaton
3. New release I haven’t read but I want to: This would probably be ‘Undercover Bromance’ by Lyssa Kay Adams. I recently read the first book in this series ‘The Bromance Book Club (check out my review here – Book Review: The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams) and it was soooo good. I really want or need to read this next book and I hope it would give me the satisfaction I got from the first book.
4. The most anticipated book to be read when it is released: ‘Sex and Vanity’ by Kevin Kwan. I discovered Kevin Kwan after reading ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ like so many fans and have followed up with him since then. This book promises to give us the fun and outrageousness that comes with Kevin Kwan and I had to pre-order a copy. It was released on the 30th of June and I am about to jump on it.
5. Biggest disappointment for the year: My biggest disappointment was ‘Such a Fun Age’ by Kiley Reid. The book was over hyped in my opinion and totally missed the mark for me. You can check out my review here – Book Review: Such A Fun Age by Kiley
6. The Biggest Surprise: My biggest surprise was ‘Dirty Letters’ by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward . I went into reading this book with little or no expectations but came out wowed by the story, writing and characters. This is one of my first 5 star reads this year and it really gave me a jump start from a reading slump I was experiencing. I was pleasantly surprised. Read my review here – Book Review: Dirty Letters by Vi Keeland & Penelope Ward
7. New Favorite Author: My new favorite author is Stacy Halls. After reading ‘The Familiars’ and ‘The Foundling’ in April (thanks to my bookish friend, “theduchessofkanta on instagram), I became an instant fan of her work. I am now one of those people who are waiting patiently for her next book and will probably pre-order it.
8. New fictional crush: My fictional crush is definitely Griffin in ‘Dirty Letters’. He was such a lovable, understanding and patient character. I still think about him a lot.
9. New favorite character: Same character in question 8.
10. The book that made you cry: ‘A Broken People’s Playlist’ by Chimeka Garricks. The first story in the collection ‘Lost Stars’ got me sobbing like a baby and ‘I’d Die Without You’ also brought tears to my eyes.
11. The book that made you happy: ‘The little Bookshop of Love Stories’ by Jaimie Admans. Happy book, funny book, happy ending! I loved it and I would definitely read it again.
12. The most beautiful book you have bought this year: ‘Fine Wine’ by Emem Bassey. This book was recommended to me by a fellow bookworm, Jite (@now_booking on instagram) but I was drawn to it because I loved the cover. It also turned out to be a good read. I await it’s sequel patiently.
13. Books that you need to read by the end of the year: Wow! This is a really long list but I will list a few…..
- ‘Crumbled’ by Tope Omotosho
- ‘Empress’ Alexander by Malanie Clegg
- ‘The Woman in the Mirror’ by A. J. Finn
- ‘Letters and Lies’ by Colleen L. Donnelly
- ‘The Arbella Stuart Conspiracy‘ by Alexandra Walsh
- ‘The Giver of Stars’ by Jojo Moyes
- The Wide Acre Trilogy (‘Wide Acre’, ‘The Favored Child’ and ‘Meridon’) by Philippa Gregory
- ‘A Lineage of Grace’ by Francine Rivers
- ‘Children of Virtue and Vengeance’ by Tomi Adeyemi
- ‘My Mind is No Longer Here’ by Ifedigbo Nze Sylva
How has your year in books been so far? Have you read any of the books I mentioned or any on my TBR list?
What’s on your TBR list? Please share.
Have a lovely day and keep staying safe!
Copyright © Biyai Garricks
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Biyai Garricks, rovingbookwormng.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
2 thoughts on “Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag: My 2020 Books”
Woohoo! You have a ton this year. I should read some of these really. I see my favorite fruit cake too. Welldone
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yeah. This year has been good so far. I hope I keep it up. Thank you.